Newry U14 Boys v Enniskillen U14 Boys Fixture - Mar 24, 2018

Team Score Pts
Newry U14 Boys 17 - 47 Enniskillen U14 Boys

Match Report

Newry U14 17
Enniskillen U14 47
Enniskillen Under-14 boys travelled to Newry last Saturday for the quarter final of the bowl. Skins received the kick off but failed to secure the ball allowing Newry to attack the line in a structured fashion, with pods eventually forcing over in the corner for an unconverted try. From the resultant restart Newry came back again before a crucial turnover allowed Skins to counter with Aaron Skuce racing around the defence to score under the posts., Coiltse Farry adding the extras. 
Skins again made a mess of the restart allowing Newry to recover but the visitors’ defence was solid and they eventually forced a penalty which was wasted with an unplanned tap and go, the home side turning over yet again and surging down to the line before going wide to score an unconverted try in the corner. 
Skins kept Newry in their half for some time before they broke the line again only for good defence from Ethan Daly and Kacper Grygorczyk preventing a try. Aaron Skuce was then able to mount an attack into the Newry 22’ before being bundled into touch, but making good ground. 
A knock on resulted in a scrum and Odrhan McMulkin at 9 put in a big hit on his opposite number with Ciaran McLaughlin driving over to secure the ball, Cahair McElhill then carrying into the red zone with good support from Thomas Wallace to secure a quick pass out for John Armstrong to go under the posts, with Coiltse Farry converting. Another poor restart saw Newry attacking again in the Skins half with their 8 crossing the line with 3 Enniskillen players hanging from his shoulders before off loading for a simple try, which was converted before the halftime whistle, 17 to 14 the tally at the half. 
The disjointed and mistake ridden half undoubtedly had the coach venting his frustration and challenging the players to sort the various issues. This had the desired effect.
Skins kicked off and smashed over the receiver, securing ball for Ciaran McLaughlin to go down the blindside to score, which Farry converted from wide. Skins continued their poor restart composure but defended well with good structure and turned the ball over, John Armstrong kicking clear for Cahair McElhill to storm after and, just as the fullback caught it in the air, the ball was ripped and he bustled under the posts, Farry adding the extras. Newry again secured their own restart somehow, and a sustained attack ended with another turnover. This time Oisin McPhillips winning the ball and a sprint to the line resulted in another converted try. 
Now skins started to sustain pressure, securing the kick off and taking the ball into contact, with Farry, Daly And Grygorczyk all making good runs through the defence. A number of passes eventually saw Farry in for a try, then just slightly wide with the conversion. From the restart Skins secured and after a couple of phases Sam McGowan sprinted 70 m to score an excellent solo effort, Farry adding the conversion for the last play. Final score 17 to 47. This was a game of two halves and the Skins side showed maturity to fix their lapses. The Under-14s now look forward to a semi final on the 7th of April. There will be no U14 training this week but training will take place Tuesday 3rd and Thursday 5th of April at 2 pm.