Enniskillen 1XV v Dromore 1XV Fixture - Oct 7, 2017

Team Score Pts
Enniskillen 1XV 12 - 24 Dromore 1XV

Match Report

Enniskillen vs Dromore 7/10/17
Enniskillen took to the field on Saturday in improved spirits having beaten Carrick the previous week. Another tough battle was expected in the shape of Dromore, and they were not to disappoint. It would be Dromore first to register on the scoresheet having won the lion's share of the early exchanges. Enniskillen, however, replied strongly and after strong build up play, released the ball wide to Tyler Millar who had to fight past several would be tacklers before setting down over the Dromore try line, to much applause.
A nip and tuck encounter ensued, with both sides creating scoring opportunities, but neither able to capitalise from them. Sustained pressure in the Dromore '22' perhaps should have granted Enniskillen a half time lead, but it was squandered and 'Skins went into Willie Gibson's halftime talk trailing 5:7.
The second half opened with much the same intensity which we had came to expect and the heavy Dromore forwards continued to make headway. This did not go unanswered, however, as Enniskillen continuously pressed forward with Ricky Lee and David Taylor looking particularly menacing.
Dromore were to be the first scorers of the half after they secured precious line out ball in Enniskillen's '22'. The visitors were quick to construct a strong maul and it rumbled ominously towards the Enniskillen line. Dromore touched down their 2nd five pointer, but missed the resultant conversion to extend their lead to 7:12.
Enniskillen's responded promisingly with phase after phase of strong runners. 'Skins were still lively enough to change the angle of attack with each assault as they hunted for an equalising try. Matthew Balmer caught the eye on more than one occasion with mazy runs stretching well into the Dromore half, but as the attack drew closer to a try, the ball was spilled and broke down. From here on out it the game was dominated with Dromore. The Down men surged forward once more and only a last ditch effort from Micheál Law prevented a certain try. The sustained pressure eventually gave way to points as Dromore profited from a missed tackle along the backline for a third score. With their tails up, Dromore went seeking for an important bonus point try and found it when another well executed backline attack broke the Enniskillen defence.
With less than 10 minutes remaining on the clock, Enniskillen looked down and out, but found the gritty determination to claw back a score to round off the day's scoring. Good handling skills across the board led to Mark O'Shea setting down for Enniskillen's second and final try.
A disappointing home defeat for Enniskillen, but much to look forward to as they make the trip to CIYMS in Belfast this weekend.