Enniskillen 2XV v Ards 2XV Fixture - Sep 16, 2017

Team Score Pts
Enniskillen 2XV 46 - 3 Ards 2XV

Match Report

With an agonising 1 point defeat with the final kick last week to league leaders Armagh, Skins 2nds were determined to 
claim the win and maximum points to Ards in their second league game. In an early battle up front to gain control and dominance it was fill in out half Zach Charlton who kicked Skins into an early lead with a penalty, growing in confidence Charlton was put through for the first try soon after. Although Ards kicked a penalty in reply and made several line breaks, great cover defence from fullback Matthew McVitty and wing Chris Henry followed by resilient line defence from Eric Elliott and Owen McGovern prevented any scores. It was debutant winger Dan Teague whose pace saw him round the Ards defence and go under the posts for Skins. Soon afterwards some excellent footwork and a good handoff from McVitty saw him beat two and score. Despite losing captain Cathal McGarry early to injury, the experience of prop Richie Beatty who unusually lasted the 80 minutes, controlled the pack and scrum along with veteran partner Adi Breen. Half time 20-3. The aim of the second half was to score the fourth and a gain a bonus point. Hooker Kieran Fee and lock Aaron Kelly were dominating the line out, and although Ards battled they couldn't handle number eight Jamie Kelly on the hoof, ably assisted by the ever hungry Andrew Crawford. Alan Wilkinson was like a bull let out to pasture for his first game back at centre, rampaging through the Ards backline and assisting the hard yards made by the forwards. However as the forwards set up for a slow rumble over from 5 meters out, wing Dan Teague stole in and glided through and under the posts untouched to everyone's surprise for his second and the bonus try. The always sniping Josh Kyle finally made his break through a ruck and out paced the cover defence for the fifth try. Finally debutant wing Michael O'hare scooped up a pass to his ankles and slid in the corner for skins sixth try. An injury brought a premature final whistle but with Charlton adding a second penalty to his five conversions the final score was a comprehensive 46-3. Again, with seven U19s in an already young team, much is expected and two successive league promotions is not out of the question. However, a tough away trip to title contenders Ballymoney awaits these young lads on Saturday when all their composure and physical resilience will be under examination.