Enniskillen 3rd XV v Larne 3rd XV Fixture - Dec 6, 2016

Team Score Pts
Enniskillen 3rd XV (W) FF - Larne 3rd XV

Match Report

The 3rd XV eased comfortably into the next round of the McCambley cup last Saturday after Larne, to their credit, made the trip to Enniskillen with 12 men, and subsequently conceded the game prior to kick off. Enniskillen gave the visitors two players to keep things competitive and play a much needed game given the quiet period of fixtures lately. It was no surprise in the circumstances that it was a rather lacklustre affair in parts. Nonetheless it was an entertaining and competitive contest and it took a few of the experienced Skins players to settle the team and provide some structure to the game. Unsurprisingly it was one of these players, Michael Cadden, who reached over the line to score first after several good carries from the pack. A planned move from a scrum saw Ross Duncan pick from 8 and switch with out half Keith Hurst, and although he couldn't go all the way, captain Steven Tummon in true form was first in support collecting a pop pass and sweeping round the outside to win the sprint to the corner for the second try.
    Although Larne put pressure on the skins line after winning a lineout and mauling well, the home side’s defence was solid and they managed to clear their lines several times. After resisting the onslaught for a long period, inevitably after successive attempts Larne got their deserved score. An undeterred Cathal McGarry replied immediately from the restart, gathering a loose ball and tripping over the line, although he was sure he'd swerved and handed off most of the Larne team sprinting in from his own half. Alan Wilkinson showed his class and strength controlling the midfield and Hurst had a better day with the boot, converting two from three. New man Darren Baker was a force at the breakdown and Frankie Fee in the lineout. It must also be noted Sam Park, on loan to Larne playing 8 was their best forward, making numerous breaks, and Zach Charlton boosting numbers in their backs put himself about, dumping opposition lock Richie Grey in a tackle. Unfortunately soon into the second half a typically ferocious but fair tackle from Cadden saw a Larne player injured. Whilst pleased to see him recover, the decision was made to blow up early leaving the score 19-5. Although it wasn't the contest skins had hoped for, the effort made by Larne to make the journey understrength was nonetheless appreciated. The next round of the cup should offer stiffer opposition, and after qualifying for the provincial league this team will need to find form in the new year if their potential is to be rewarded.