Enniskillen Ladies 1st XV v City of Derry Ladies 1st XV Fixture - Sep 20, 2015

Team Score Pts
Enniskillen Ladies 1st XV 14 - 5 City of Derry Ladies 1st XV

Match Report

Enniskillen started off well but weren't clinical enough to score, we were camped in their 22/half for a prolonged period. Unfortunately City Of Derry got out and built pressure on us and gained momentum. With the help of some poor discipline from Skins leading to several penalties it gave City Of Derry territorial advantage with a line out within our 22. The city of Derry second row won the resulting line out and formed a maul where their pack drove the Skins pack back towards their try line and with a big final push crashed the ball over the line. Missed the conversion. With little time remaining in the first half Skins fought hard with every phase and brought play back into the Derry half.  Aoibhinn Kelly making particularly good ground. Unfortunately nothing was to come from this as Skins attack fizzled out and the ref blew for halftime.

Things started out much as they did in the first half with a lot of the play camped around mid field in first the first 10 mins. Following this there was another period of Skins ill discipline which resulted in more penalties. Most notable of these was when Skins conceded within their 22 in front of the posts. City of Derry opted for the kick and their 10 hit a long range shot which bounced off the post. Skins reacted well to this and played the ball well out of defence with fly half Noreen nethercott hitting a well placed kick to relieve the pressure. After this Enniskillen had the ball in hand and taking tackles well but on the break down unfortunately Derry were much more aggressive at ruck time and turned the ball over. Skins centre Aoibhinn kelly reacted to this and was up quick on the push closing down the Derry player resulting in a knock on. Skins then drives hard from the resulting scrum and worked the ball across the back line with good hands to centre Clare McMorrow who found a gap and dived over the line for Skins first try. Noreen converted. After Skins got some points on the board they began to play with a lot more purpose and things were getting better at the break down as they started to win the shoulder battle and secure the ball at ruck time. From this their confidence grew and in the last 10 mins of the game they played some good phases of rugby where they moved the ball around the park away from the Derry pack when finally after a lot of hard work there was a ruck on the left, which Skins secured and scrum half Leanne Hall passed the ball out to fly half Noreen nethercott who seen a gap in the city of Derry defence and stepped past two players to place the ball under the posts for Skins 2nd try. Noreen converted.

The game finished 14 - 5 to the home team and although it was a far from perfect start the girls will be happy with a win at the start of their season against a resilient City of Derry.